Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kids Art...Drawing Owls

Hi Everyone..Let me first of all apologise for not posting anything for the last week and a half...but I have a good excuse...Really I do... (well at least I think so)...;)  I was getting ready for the "Art Camp" I teach threw Parks and Rec....and of course I had great ideas.... But true to my nature I waited till last minute to put them together.  On the upside I now have some really fun projects...(not to mention some AWESOME Kids Art) to share with all of you.

SO LETS GET STARTED!

One of my favorite things to do with kids is a directed draw.  I show them step by step how to build a drawing by breaking it down into simple shapes....Here's a couple of finished pictures...Just to get you interested!

Many of the kids added the moon and stars to their painting.


So this is what I did..
I drew the Owl at home using several different references...I numbered each step as I went along so it would be easy to share with the class.




I draw on the white board as the kids follow along...
The first thing we did is draw the two circles for the eyes.
We then drew the beak...one line at a time...
I use simple terms...Like the top of the beak between the eyes, I called a upside down smile...the bottom of the beak is of course, is just two straight lines...coming together in a point...
I think You've got the idea!  ;)


I is important to remind them to draw softly with the pencils...because there are parts that will need to be erased...
NOW FOR THE FUN...
Once the Owl was drawn...I let them choose what they wanted to color it in with...
Water Colors, Markers or Oil Pastels...

I also showed them different ways to do the breast feathers and wings....
The rest was up to them...



And as you can see...


Everyone of them is LOVELY...


Unique...

and totally AWESOME!!
Give it a try...the kids in my class ranged from 8 - 13.

I will be joining up to many of those wonderful "Bloggy Link Party's" on my side bar...If you haven't checked them out, please do... they are chalk full of ideas!
As always...Thanks for visiting!
Denise
PS:   If you missed my Directed Draw for a Sea Horse You can find it here:

4 comments:

  1. Great project! I found you through the linking party at Somewhat Simple :)
    I'd like to invite you to join my T.G.I.F. Linky Party to share your fabulous projects. I'm looking to grow my weekly party with fabulous projects just like this one. Here is the direct link and I hope you can visit sometime.
    Tracy
    T.G.I.F. Linky Party every Thursday evening - Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of directed art. Give them the steps and let them run with it. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute artwork! I bet the kids had a blast with this. And it's neat how each piece is so distinctly different.

    Thanks for linking to the party. Hope to see you this week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used this to practice upside down drawing. I gave directed instruction but upside down! It was fun letting the kids guess what we were drawing at different stages. At one point my three year old glanced over at her dad's (which from her vantage point was right side up) and said "Yours looks like a bird daddy!" Thanks for this, they turned out great, even the three year old. We colored them with oil pastels and watercolor.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Autumn

Autumn
Autumn modeling a hat I knit for my etsy shop...What energy!!