Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Up-Dated Book / Magazine Rack

Finished...One Magazine / Book Rack (FINALLY)!  :)
I don't know about the rest of you but once school started I've had a hard time keeping up...or maybe it's that ridiculous goal of getting 3 stockings done a week  (last week I only managed two)...could be all those Volleyball games of Autumns.  Awe..I do enjoy watching her play!!!

But I DID get this little baby done...check that off my list (happy sigh)! 
And I must say I'm pretty pleased with it!
I used homemade chalk paint (because the price of the other is just not an option...someday maybe).



Anyway Jane at Mamie Jane's was my inspiration...She painted one white and wrote "READ" at the top...Too Cute!!  I have been looking for one ever since I pinned hers!!



My twist on the idea was to put a TV on it, suggesting reading, instead of watching...
And of course because I LOVE CHALKBOARDS I did the inside of the TV with Chalkboard paint.
(Did You know I make little chalkboard Pendants out of clay and sell them on t Etsy??  I'll have a new batch out next week).



So this is what I started with.  I got it at my local Good Will for $5.00.
The metal sides were Hunter Green so the first thing I did was...


Tear it apart and spray paint the metal sides Flat Black.  I used  KRYLON Dual Paint +Primer...
And I have to say I LOVE IT!  Two coats and I was done.  :)


I then whipped up a batch of "Chalk Paint" by adding Plaster of Paris to a sample BEHR's "White Truffle"...
After painting I went on line and searched images for a vintage TV...I choose this one because of it's simple lines.


I used my son's paint pens and a sharpie for the silver and the thin lines....
and Krylon Chalkboard Paint (left over from a project or two ago) for the TV screen. 


After painting I did my best to distress it.  This is something I don't quite have the hang of ...but I'll keep working on it!


And  side view...


I used a vintage green to add some color to my TV and added water to acrylic brown  paint for the front.

Well...That's my project for the week...
Thanks for visiting and as always leave a message...I love to see who's stopped by!!
Denise

Oh yes...I'll be linking up to most of those wonderful parties on my side bar.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Great makeover and so cute! You'd never know it was the same piece!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the idea of the TV with "read" displayed on the screen. When my children were young, I was quite strict about their television viewing. They had to read for an equal amount of time as they watched TV.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, love the TV. I am a new follower.
    Donna G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project and find from GW! Turned out great :)
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your magazine rack looks wonderful....excellent re-do. I have joined your followers list as well as your Pinterest, and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Autumn

Autumn
Autumn modeling a hat I knit for my etsy shop...What energy!!