Thursday, August 9, 2012

From Bowling Balls to Garden Art

Wow...I've been finishing up a ton of projects lately, but it's left me no time to post them for you all to see...
I will try to do better!  :)
This was promised to you a L-O-N-G time ago but for some reason, I just couldn't get it finished...I think I needed a few sunny days to get me going again!!

Anyway without further ado...Here it is ....
Bowling Ball...Garden Art...


Aren't they fun???
I picked up the balls this winter at different times, but all from the G.W. My original plan was to paint all of them.


But when I brought this purple and green one home, my kids protested...They felt it was just to pretty on its own, to cover with paint!
So...



It took me awhile to figure out what to do with it...I finally decided the way to go, was to protect some of the ball and paint over the rest...letting the shinny marbled purple be the main attraction....instead of the paint!!

I got this great flower punch at a garage sale...So I used it to punch flowers out of Laminate Sheets.  I then placed them on the bowling ball, making sure they were nice and smooth.  To be honest, the punch wasn't fond of going all the way through the sheets, so it was a bit of a fight....eventually it even got too dull to work....At that point I simply drew a few larger flowers on the back of the Laminate and cut them out with scissors and said good enough.

After placing the laminate flowers where I wanted them I spray painted the ball with Krylons indoor/outdoor paint in flat black.  (I first pounded a stick in the ground and set the ball on it using the thumb hole.)

Next step...simply peel of the flower stickers.  :)



I finished it off by sealing it with a Satin Finish, (again by Krylon.)
I thin this is my favorite ball!!



The next ball I did, I spray painted it an off white and then painted bright flowers with acrylic paints...





Last but not least was my "Doodle Ball"  :)



For this one; I first sprayed it white and then simply drew on it with a black sharpie.... 



It has one of my all time favorite quotes on it by Ralph Waldo Emerson,
"The earth laughs in flowers"
And I believe it to be true!!



Well I hope this post wasn't to long...I know I had a ton of pictures but hey the balls are round what do you expect?? :)

Thanks for stopping by!!
Denise
PS:  I will be linking up again to many of those groovy parties on my side bar!

Entering this in:

21 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and I loved how it turned out. My old bowling ball may take up residence in the garden. Thanks for sharing your great idea.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute for the garden! I just pinned it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL this was a very original and fun post to read and view!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! You did a great job! I agree...the earth laughs in flowers!!
    I saw some small ceramic balls at a store for $85 each! They were hand made and pretty neat but not that neat! I think you came up with a great idea...they won't blow away either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise: I love the bowling balls, and especially the last one with The earth laughs in flowers--wonderful! You are a fantastic artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea!!!! Thank you so much for linking up to the Garden Party! Wishing you a fantstic weekend. xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely marvelous!!! I'm with you: I love the black one best...but all the others are soooo close. I really love 'em all! Pinning!
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! I NEVER would have thought to do this, but now I may have to keep an eye out for some second hand bowling balls. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun!! They are each cool in their own way!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now those bowling balls are just too darn cute!! What a great transformation. Can you believe that I've gotten rid of bowling balls to Goodwill~what was I thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such super fun, eye catching garden art!Love the black and white version. Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I LOVE this! Such a great idea!! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful project. Makes me excited for winter to be over!
    Thanks for linking up to the oldies party this week--the new party will be live on Monday night.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. Evergreens For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post, went ahead and bookmarked your site. I can’t wait to read more from you.
    komposittræ

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. https://cleverbowling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brunswick Tzone Bowling Ball is one of the best bowling ball with polyester cover stick, symmetric core, lane condition and low hooking accuracy. Get more interesting details about bowling balls on this site.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love the arts/design of your website. I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something I found another one Sneha arts like you, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post blog and check these Indian literature, also look like your website on arts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Autumn

Autumn
Autumn modeling a hat I knit for my etsy shop...What energy!!